My name is Ewald Schuster. I am not an archeologist, but I have been involved with making molds and molded parts for the majority of my life, whether it be machined molds or hand carved molds and plugs. I thought I would start this website to share what I found at Puma Punku. I am doing this to show you all of the signs that molded parts have, even by today's standards, like parting lines, mold seams, and filling hard to fill spots that a composite would normally have a hard time to mold into. I am looking at this from the perspective that the people who built this place did it on their own accord; there seems to be a lot of talk that aliens helped build this place, but I am taking a more scientific view of it and giving credit where credit belongs. I will also show how I think these molds were made with materials that are easy to work with and were readily available to the people who made this amazing place.
In the image below, the top row shows the molds and below them are the parts they make. In the first two rows are aluminum molds that I machined. I inject these molds with carbon reinforced plastic. This plastic is injected under high pressure at 550 degrees F into a 300 degree F aluminum mold. When cooled, the molds are opened and the parts are de-molded. The parts in black and green are shown below the molds.
The third column shows a fiberglass mold that was made over a resin plug. The gray piece below it is one layer of fiberglass to produce a hollow part. This part is then sanded and silver-painted to make it electrically conductive. Then I electroplate this part in a Nickel Sulfamate bath to produce the nickel piece below it. You can then tear out the fiberglass inside it to obtain a hollow, high temp nickel one piece part with no seams. This is a tiny turbo charger volute.
For the fan on the far right, the mold was drawn up on a 3D CAD system and rapid prototyped. This mold was then sealed and treated so that a carbon fiber fan could be laid up between the mold halves.
Below is a more complicated part that takes many more processes to produce. First, I modeled the part using CAD, and 3D-printed it. At that point it is finished, smoothed, and polished. It is then held in a box with RTV silicone poured around it. [unfortunately the part moved overnight, resulting in the offset in the mold].
Then a cement piece is made in the blue mold. When I poured the cement in the mold, I did not have enough cement, so I made another batch of the same type and mix ratio and filled the rest of the mold. You can see the color difference where this happened in the beige part in the middle of the picture. This was unintended, and made me laugh because it coincided with some of my findings on the arrow rock.
The black part to the right of this has carbon fiber laid up on the cement and cured at 250 degrees F. I then drill holes in it and grind the sides and bottom using the center hole as a pivot for the sanding drum to grind the radius around it. This results in a perfectly circular seal for the scoops to rotate over. The cement is then chipped out leaving a hollow one piece carbon fiber part. On the far right is the finished part with the scoops and servos attached.This is the rear puffer jet for a 1/6th scale Harrier I am working on.
I hope this gives you a good idea of my experiences and skills with many different materials in the field of machining, molding parts and part-making.